Giving Tuesday provided us with an incredible opportunity to announce our project for 2017! It also brought us a great kick start to our fundraising. We had many generous supporters jump into action and give what they could so that they could be a part of this incredible new journey. We are over half way to our goal, but that means we are not there yet. Once the needed funds are raised we can set in motion the construction crew in Malawi and ground can break!
The community in Malawi is SO excited. I (Erin Hempen, WCIM Executive Director) have recently returned from Malawi and was able provide updates to the community on our progress. We have made big promises and now it is time to make good on them. We have an incredible team of volunteers already signed on for our 2017 trip (a few spaces are still available if you would like to join us!). The team will be helping to finish the building and set up the daily food program and community gardens.
What is the project?
With Change in Mind has agreed to build a kindergarten building that will hold 60 children between the ages of 4-6. We also have committed to providing a daily food program for those 60 children, hire a small staff of local men and women to work and teach in the school, construct a new well and water pump and install a healthy nutritious community garden. With Change in Mind’s goal is to assist in making this community school and program self-sufficient within 4 years as we have recently done in Adziwa, a neighboring community in Malawi.
Why is this community and project so special?
– This community has never had any support from an organization like ours, or any other organizations.
– This community is run by women. The chief is a 26-year old woman. With Change In Mind is very excited to work alongside her and the other women in the village.
– The children in this community currently have no access to any education prior to beginning primary school.
– This community and its young children are struggling with the current drought and food is very limited.
– This community is excited to have our support, but also excited that we have come and asked them how they see this partnership working for them and what their ideas are for success.
The bottom line is that we need to raise $20,000 in a very short amount of time. We have already raised over $14,000 in cash and in-kind gifts to date. But we need to get to $20,000 before this important work can begin. Every donation matters and every penny goes DIRECTLY toward this project. Your one time donation or monthly contributions will assist With Change In Mind in achieving this goal.
Lets see what we can achieve together!